Monday, January 26, 2009

Sump Pump Gotcha--Water Softener Salt Discharge Corrosion Problem

Check if your water softener discharges to your sump pit. If so, then the salt will accelerate corrosion of your sump pump. Especially if it is cast iron or stainless. I don't know about all plastic.

I just put in a fancy Blue Angel, and they said salt from water softeners voids the warranty. Most sump pumps have warnings about water softener brine corrosion.

Also some municipalities don't want water softener discharge to sewer. And the salt can damage your lawn or plants. So it should discharge to storm drain if possible.

Plumber came back and exchanged sump pumps. Put in a Zoeller. I think I will recharge the softener manually myself, and make sure I flush the pit with water after it's all done, esp. in summer when there is little ground water.

1 comment:

  1. Good softeners have a backwash then rinse cycle bringing the salt level in the sump down until there is no more salt in your sump and sump pump. Under most circumstances the amount of salt discharged into your lawn will not have any effect on your lawn. Since 1979 I have not seen one event in which salt had negatively effected a sump pump or a lawn. I have only installed high end quality systems with long back wash cycles at the end.

    ReplyDelete